2 March 2024

Work in progress

 

I spent a couple of hours scrabbling around the floor this morning getting to grips with re-covering the chair. Even with a cushion to kneel on it was tough on my knees and back. Getting the fabric to fit around the wooden arms was fraught with danger, one snip with the scissors too far and the whole thing would have been ruined. Constant stretching of the fabric, trying to get an even tension and checking that everything was straight was time consuming but I tried not to rush, I was just very relieved when that part of the process was finished.




The next stage will be the back of the chair, and then the front, and then I need to visit the haberdashery shop in our local town to try and find some trim to cover the tacks and give the chair a smart finish. Hopefully all completed in about a week.



8 comments:

  1. You are very patient. Look forward to seeing the finished job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go and search for some upholstery braid tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Keep up the good work Sue! You are doing a great job and it will be really satisfying to live with that chair knowing that you yourself refurbished it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remind me never to do this again, it's too much like hard work!

      Delete
  3. The chair is going to be gorgeous!!
    My mom use to recover chairs...she bought gorgeous tacks to use...the chairs turned out beautifully...with the added bling.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish my aim was a bit more precise with the hammer and tacks. I wouldn't make a very good darts player.

      Delete
  4. You're doing a marvellous job - look forward to photos when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete