11 March 2024

Yesterday

It was Mother's Day yesterday, or Mothering Sunday as some call it and originates from when women in service (maids and servants working in big houses) were released for the day to return home to visit their mother.  The day always conjures up mixed feelings for me because I had a difficult relationship with my mother and was estranged from her before she died.  

Anyway, I have always told my daughters not to make a fuss or waste their money on over priced bouquets for me.  Yesterday Sarah invited me over to the cottage for lunch and gave me chocolates and a card and we had a jolly time feasting around a magnificent 'grazing table'.  Rick thought it was wonderful.


 

Kat posted a card to me on Monday and was most upset that it hadn't arrived.  That may have something to do with the fact she had put an out of date stamp on the envelope. She doesn't use the mail very often!  Never mind Kat, it's the thought that counts.

putting my feet up after lunch



4 comments:

  1. That looks like a delicious spread! How nice that your daughters want to celebrate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for explaining the meaning of that day! Enjoy your chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect you (and Rick) enjoyed that fantastic spread of food. Sarah's table looks beautiful. Your daughters remembered you on this special day and I think that is very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son posted a Mother's Day card to his mama last Wednesday. The address was clearly written and there was a first class stamp on it. However, it did not arrive until yesterday morning - two days after Mother's Day! Can we have a refund please?

    ReplyDelete