21 March 2024

Lark or an Owl

 Are you a lark or an owl?  Up at dawn and early to bed or a late riser but still lively at night?

I am most definitely a lark.  Full of energy in the morning but flagging by mid afternoon and ready for bed at 10.00 p.m or earlier.  This morning I got up just after 6.00 and had cereal and a cup of tea, then out for Rick's morning walk around the village.  It was blissfully quiet apart from the dawn chorus (lots of blackbirds around here) and I didn't meet any other dog walkers today.

Back home I stripped the bed and put a load of washing on.  No rain forecast so I might get the sheets dry outside.  Then I boiled up a litre of milk and made a batch of yoghurt, I let the jars sit in the incubator for about 7 hours or so.  I love natural unsweetened yoghurt and this is so easy to make.  Then I chopped a whole load of bacon, onions, mushrooms and beef to go in the slow cooker for a Boeuf Bourguignon.  In France this would be typically served with a green salad and French fries but my English tribe prefer it with mashed potato and veg.  Whichever way it's a favourite in this household and the slow cooker ensures that the meat is always succulent with a rich and tasty sauce.

dinner bubbling away in the slow cooker

yoghurt doing its thing


By the time I had finished cooking the washing was ready to hang and it was coffee time.  Now what am I going to do for the rest of the day apart from write this blog?  Ah, just remembered.  I have a Dyson upright cleaner to re-assemble.  I took it apart yesterday to wash the filters and de-tangle the brush head.  I always have to get the handbook out to figure out where the filters are hiding, hate this task.

laundry day


By lunch time I shall be running out of steam.  Early afternoon I will do some core exercises for half an hour and then it will be time to sit down and relax with a book or watch some television and Rick will see that as a signal to jump on my lap for cuddles.  It also gives him a clear view of the driveway and he can look out for the postman.  What is it about a red post van that turns this mild mannered dog into a barking lunatic?  Never a dull moment!  (Rick is also a lark and likes to go to bed early).

Rick waiting for the postman




12 comments:

  1. I am a lark too. I have just got my sheets in, dry. I still wake at my usual work time, 6am, although I do not jump out of bed straightaway these days unless I have appointments in the morning and then I like to get an early start and have no rush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine in just before it started to rain, not quite dry.

      Delete
  2. A friend in France advised me to put a splash of Orange Juice into my Bourguignon. You should try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I'm pretty sure my old recipe listed orange zest, something I had forgotten about.

      Delete
  3. Bed at 10, out of it at 8, but usually awake by 7.....(and many times in the night)
    The dog often puts himself to bed by 8.30 and is still there when I come down at 8.15 ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get up as soon as I'm awake, otherwise I lay there and start worrying.

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely photo of Rick - he's such a handsome boy.
    I'm a lark too, up at around 7a.m., or sometimes before, and try to get to bed by 10:30-ish. Paca, the dog, has abandoned me lately and taken to sleeping in the kitchen. She's usually ready for bed after we've been out to feed the garden cats. She'll happily hunker down by 9:30 and will still be curled up in her bed around 7:30 when I open the kitchen door - after I've had my shower and dressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick has always slept in our bedroom, alongside the bed. He is very good and never disturbs us.

      Delete
  5. I love Rick...such a sweet boy!
    I wish I had one of those drying lines! Nice!
    Happy Weekend!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love drying my washing outside in the fresh air.

      Delete
  6. I'm up by 8 AM and usually asleep by midnight. Your Beef Bourguignon sounds delicious. Rick is one happy boy. As for the postal workers and most delivery people my dog also goes ballistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick can spot the postman's red van from miles away.

      Delete