13 January 2019

Carry On Matron

Nurse 'Stacy'
It is so wonderful to be back home to peace and quiet.   The operation to remove half my thyroid gland was successfully carried out on Wednesday afternoon but it was Friday afternoon before I was discharged.  The days of hushed wards seem to have disappeared and there was continuous comings and goings on my eight bedded unit.  Patients were being admitted and discharged into the early hours and I got very little sleep.  So many machines and so much beepage. Beep beep all night long.

I woke from my anaesthetic thinking I was at home and my alarm had just gone off.  I felt quite euphoric that I had survived the ordeal, easier than a trip to the dentist for a root canal.  My neck was a bit sore and I had a plastic tube in my wound; they wouldn’t let me home until it had stopped draining.  A noisy ward isn’t the best place to be but at least I missed some of the building chaos at home for three days.

There was very little formality with the doctors and nurses.  The young registrar (he looked about 12 years old) was called Dr Zhaboa Liu but he introduced himself as Paul.  Stacy, (not called Staff  Nurse anymore) seemed to be the only RGN on duty and was working 13 hour shifts.  She was like a clockwork Duracell bunny constantly trotting from machine to machine and administering medication, totally unfazed by whining and demanding patients.  No white starched aprons and lacy caps here.  On Friday morning she was wearing what looked like a red plastic bin bag printed with “Drug Round in Progress Do Not Disturb”.  When I teased her about it she rolled her eyes and said “don’t even ask!”  I guess the Health and Safety gurus had been visiting.

Stacy wearing her red plastic bin bag
  
So I’m back home and Paul is clearing up after the builders.  He says he likes my husky voice.  Stitches out next Friday and then hopefully I should be back to normal.



34 comments:

  1. Phew! That's a relief. A successful operation and home again. And soon you will be able to "luxuriate" in your new bath with a glass of wine...and Rick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to have a bubble bath with a glass of bubbles.

      Delete
  2. So glad you are back home and all went well. I bet Rick was glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's only just forgiven me for leaving him.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad it's over for you!! Was it a case of 'the worry was worse than the actual event'? I know what you mean about all the beeping. How the heck do people sleep?? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The waiting was definitely the worse part.

      Delete
  4. So glad that all went well and you're back home for some peace and quiet! Take care and get well soon. Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The builders have finally gone so it's wonderfully peaceful again.

      Delete
  5. So glad you're home and everything went well. The largest hospital 'ward' we have here is a 4 bed, and there are very few of those. Most rooms are semi-private-2 bed, and private-1 bed. Things sure have changed since I was nursing in the 70's. We did all wear long pants and tops but they were all white and you had to wear your cap, except in Pediatrics. No jewelry except wedding band and stud earrings, hair up off collar, no nail polish, it's very different today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nursed in the 70's too and uniforms and nursing practice were very different then. I just think it's a bit degrading to expect a nurse to wear an ill-fitting bright red plastic tabard when they're doing a drug round.

      Delete
  6. I'm pleased for you that the op went well, stitches to go and that the reason you have left bits behind you in the hospital will make whatever was wrong right. If you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the Consultant in two weeks' time for the final verdict. Hopefully they won't need to remove any more bits!

      Delete
  7. I agree with Potty. And I hope your voice comes back to normal too. Take it easy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I'm just relieved it's over.

      Delete
  8. Hospitals must be one of the noisiest places to spend a night.
    Hope you rest and recover well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad that you are home and it wasn't too bad. When I was nursing and doing a drug round the red aprons with Drug Round in progress. Do Not Disturb, were a godsend. They helped to reduce the number of drug errors caused by nurses being interrupted. Loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But did your red apron resemble a plastic bin bag?

      Delete
  10. Take care and be well soon Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Hoping to get the all clear in two weeks' time Pat.

      Delete
  12. I had the same operation 8 years ago. On my first night in hospital, the nurse came round, looked at my notes and said "Hello, Melinda, I see you've had your throat cut". I got the joke and it killed me with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you're home safe and sound and all went well! A hospital is a terrible place to recuperate so I'm glad they didn't keep you too long. I know all too well about the relentless "beep beep beep" all night long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beeping machines, alarms, and then a patient sent her drinking glass smashing to the floor. It was relentless.

      Delete
  14. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad it's behind you now. full speed to a complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to hear that you survived. So, those 'Carry on Matron' wards have gone I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have but thankfully the caring and dedication is still there.

      Delete
  17. Wonderful to get back to your own bed and to have a decent sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to hear that you are back home and it is all over. Enjoy that bath!

    ReplyDelete