8 January 2019

Building Site

the tardis has been consigned to the skip

My home has been invaded!  The builders are here to rip out the old tardis and install the new bathroom.  They arrived very early yesterday morning; I volunteered to take Rick out for his breakfast walk so that I wouldn’t have to meet and greet them.

It’s a big team, Ronnie the plumber who is project managing, his boy Mark, the joiner Chris, thingo the plasterer, the electrician Jim, and the tiler Richard.  It’s a big tea and coffee list.  They are a cheerful bunch who enjoy their radio music to work to.  The hammering went silent at 10.30 so they could play Radio 2’s PopMaster music quiz.

Ronnie assembling the new bath tub
I hate the noise and the mess but I’m thrilled to see the new bathroom taking shape.  They seem to be an effective team and no time is wasted waiting for different tradesmen.  The biggest task is the tiling, that’s going to take about three days.  I spent yesterday evening agonising between staggered or stacked tiles.  I've opted for staggered. The guys have teased me about my request for a niche in the shower for bottles of shampoo etc.  “You mean you want a hole in the wall!”

shower stall with niche
Tomorrow and Thursday I shall escape the chaos as I go into hospital for my operation.  I’m feeling nervous.  Let’s face it, one false move with the scalpel and my head will fall off.

Hopefully by the weekend I shall be luxuriating in my new bath tub.


32 comments:

  1. You will be fine - I've still got my head. I do remember my daughter ,who was a teenager then, wanting to see the staples in my neck and saying I should have a bolt as well like Frankenstein! The scar does fade though and it won't be long before you are enjoying your lovely new bathroom. Sheila x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, that's reassuring to hear from someone who has gone through the same op.

      Delete
  2. Best wishes, you will be fine and the boys will keep the mess down to a dusty minimum while you are away. Of course you need a niche, has to slope a little out into the shower area for drainage.
    The bisous got to Bok just in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was such sad news, Bok was a lovely dog.

      Delete
  3. My builder has to have Radio 2 on all day. When he was here for over a week doing my staircase when I first moved in I was almost demented because of Radio 2. He used to sing along without even knowing he was doing it when I pointed it out to him. He also stopped for the Quiz each morning and prided himself on how many he could get right. You have a big team there. Mine always come in ones.

    Good luck with the rest of your stuff at the moment xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, lots of stuff going on. That Tardis was truly hideous! (but what a fabulous name!)
    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just so pleased to see the back of that thing. I guess the previous owners were very proud of it when it was first installed about twenty years ago.

      Delete
  5. It will all be lovely when it's finished. Good luck with your other stuff, it will be good to get it out of the way. I always visualise ahead through the worrisome stuff so you could imagine yourself in your new bath looking round at your lovely bathroom and never having to look at the tardis again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try and focus on that tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful that you are getting a new bathroom! Enjoy! Best of luck with your operation and wishes for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All good wishes for your operation. Focus on a nice bubble bath. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope all goes well with the operation and that you are home again shortly in good form and with good news. Love that niche - would love one in my showe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just nice to have somewhere for the shampoo and shower gel.

      Delete
  9. All the best for the op - A friend is having the same op in Queensland later in the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it is quite a common procedure.

      Delete
  10. Best wishes for tomorrow. You'll be coming home to a new bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm feeling very nervous this morning.

      Delete
  11. Good to get your op over and done with. Not nice having these things hanging over our heads.
    Nothing nicer than a lovely modern bathroom ( except perhaps a lovely new kitchen !) Nice to come home to. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best wishes for tomorrow Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Op be over soon Sue and the bathroom done and you can have the leisurely bath with a glass in your hand!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope the op goes well...just focus on your new bathroom ! X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bon courage for both the operation and the bathroom work. I look forward to a successful outcome for both and your good health xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I doubt that a slip of the scalpel would cause your head to fall off Sue. For that the surgeon would require a chainsaw!...Only kidding! I hate having "tradesmen" in our house. I find it most unsettling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i hope all went very well for your op and that you are resting comfortably now.
    My house is in the same state having a large bathroom reno and I agree the tilers had the hardest job with masses of equipment. I have staggered tiles and a niche also. It looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thinking about you and hope that you are recovering well!

    ReplyDelete