28 May 2018

Strawberry Torte


"A strawberry what?"
"Strawberry torte darling – it’s a pudding."

I just couldn’t face eating another strawberry so I decided to make a strawberry and cinnamon torte.  It was very easy to put together but needed a whole hour to bake in the oven.  The aroma of baking strawberries was heavenly.

The strawberries are sandwiched between two layers of cake batter.  I bought this cake tin about thirty years ago to make a birthday cake for Sarah's third birthday.


The torte is supposed to finished off with a sprinkling of icing sugar.  I didn’t have any so I put some castor sugar in my Moulinex whizzer, didn’t fix the top on properly and managed to completely wreck the machine.  Sigh.


The torte tastes good though without the icing sugar.  I shall serve it with creme fraiche for lunch.





20 comments:

  1. Sue - English strawberries are only just beginning to arrive so I am not yet tired of eating them with cream - not sure I ever will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had such a bumper crop this year and still lots to come judging by the flowers on them.

      Delete
  2. The torte looks wonderful Sue! I'm sorry for your whizzer.
    Do you allow Rick to taste the cakes you bake?
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Rick has a delicate tummy so sadly no cake for him.

      Delete
    2. I have recently met a couple who are childless and have five dogs: two huge Bernese Mountain dogs, two Highland white terriers and a Straffordshire bull terrier. One of the white terriers is on insuline because he has diabetes. I never thought dogs could get it.
      x

      Delete
    3. Yes, Maria, dogs do get diabetes, and quite a few other things we humans have too.

      Delete
  3. That looks wonderful! Judging from the amount of strawberry blossoms on my plants, I'll be making jam again this year. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made jam in the past but we are not really jam eaters, too much sugar.

      Delete
    2. Small pots of strawberry jam are useful when you need a quick "thank you" present to give someone!

      Delete
    3. Yes, that's a nice idea.

      Delete
    4. There is something we can buy here as a sugar substitute called "Stevia". It looks just like sugar and the taste is similar, but it has no fattening qualities.

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious, frosting or no frosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sprinkling of icing sugar would have made it look pretty but it was delicious without.

      Delete
  5. How come Mary Berry doesn't have similar problems with her "Moulinex whizzer"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because she is Mrs Perfect.

      Delete
    2. No, 'cos someone else does all that for her !

      Delete
  6. I'll show this to Lady M. Sounds like her idea of fun (and mine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a BBC Goodfood recipe - Strawberry and Cinnamon Torte.

      Delete
  7. That torte looks absolutely scrumptious, and I bet it tastes even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had it cold with fresh....strawberries today! I've also frozen a big chunk, not sure how well it will freeze.

      Delete