20 May 2018

Exploding Prawns





Paul said he would join Rick and me on our afternoon walk.  I put my walking boots on and put Rick in his harness while Paul went downstairs to the buanderie to get some prawns out of the freezer for dinner.  Ten minutes later Rick and I are still waiting for Paul to appear so we went in search; the doorway to the buanderie is low and I thought maybe he had knocked himself out.  He was still upright and conscious but struggling with a broken bag of prawns that apparently had exploded and fired prawns in all directions.

Twenty minutes later Paul finally joined us for our walk. Rick was excited and impatient to get going. It was very warm so we were both wearing t-shirts and shorts.  We had just gone through the gap in the laurel hedge when there was an enormous clap of thunder directly overhead. Paul and I looked at each other and decided to go back to the house, much to Rick’s disgust.  Not a moment too soon because suddenly the heavens opened and down came the rain.


a newly formed stream running by our ferns

If the prawns hadn’t exploded we would have been a long way from home when the storm broke so I guess we were lucky.  Not sure what we’re having for dinner tonight though.


24 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard of prawns exploding before, were they contaminated with something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the prawns were fine. The packaging was at fault - apparently!

      Delete
  2. Wash 'em off, defrost and curry on regardless. Compost de spicy prawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prawn tagliatelle with cream and tomato sauce, it was delicious.

      Delete
  3. Exploded prawns of course ! Potty is right - seems a shame to waste them. On the other hand if Inca had been there, you would have had nothing left to clear up - they would have been gobbled up in seconds. She's a life system for a stomach !

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last sentence should read - she's a life support system for a stomach !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your rainy pictures - you really captured it! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn, it's quite hard to capture falling rain.

      Delete
  6. never look an exploding prawn in the face! (or something.) Congrats on being stuck out in that downpour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's gift horses but works for prawns too!

      Delete
  7. I had decided to mow the lawns, and started just after one-o-clock. I'd only just finished when that first clap of thunder sounded. Still, it watered the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just be glad it wasn't a bag of peas! You'd still be finding them weeks from now,lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul had to rescue a prawn from the back of the washing machine. I really hope he's found them all.

      Delete
    2. I understand that in 'disputed' sales of property one puts a prawn or two in the curtain poles or the hems of the curtains so that an exquisite perfume becomes obvious after one has moved out.

      Delete
    3. Or kippers behind radiators.

      Delete
  9. I suppose you could try creating a new recipe for exploding prawns - it sounds very interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might have to re-christen our prawn recipe now!

      Delete
  10. Did the bag of prawns really explode or did Paul burst it open himself? Didn't Prawn French play Geraldine Grainger in "The Vicar of Dibley"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or was it Jean Shrimpton? (Yes, I think it was Paul who caused the explosion, not the prawns. The prawns are innocent.)

      Delete
    2. I think Prawn French must have exploded because there's much less of her these days. She is half the woman she used to be.

      Delete