1 November 2016

Wicked Parents







Apart from a few witches and skeletons wandering around the streets last night there was very little evidence of Hallowe'en in Cremorne.  I don’t think I spotted a single carved out pumpkin.

In Wiltshire, when the girls were young, Paul and I probably got a little carried away with making the night extra spooky.  Pumpkins are cute but Sarah and Kat wanted a bit more spook.  When they were about six and seven years old I was working in the publicity department of a company that manufactured (alongside explosives and CS gas), military light sticks.  Similar to those luminous bracelets and trinkets you can buy from party shops these were something on a much bigger scale.  Paul, covered in a white sheet, with one of these light sticks appeared as a really eerie, luminous ghost in the garden.  It looked like he was floating.  The girls were seriously spooked.

The following year, while they were playing with their Barbie dolls, a severed head suddenly appeared outside the window.  They were scared silly.  So was I (although I knew it was the head from a shop dummy that we found in the attic being suspended from a bedroom window).  I can't remember who screamed the loudest.  Wicked parents!



It’s no wonder my daughter continues to take Hallowe'en to the extreme.



17 comments:

  1. I'm still trying to get the cobwebs out of my hair. Some mad monk went a little too mad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked but sporty parents :)
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd dress up like that if I had a figure like that. More of an old crone these years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't need to dress up to look like a witch these days. I only need a broom and a cat.

      Delete
  4. Was it Halloween then? We didn't know (or care).

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you experienced Aussies don't "do" Halloween although it is getting bigger every year as the kids work out that it is one time they are allowed to trawl for lollies in the neighbourhood.
    But it comes before our big day - the Melbourne Cup ! Did you manage to join a party or a least go somewhere for lunch ( though that can be quite expensive)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Melbourne Cup party but we did go out to a local bar with friends.

      Delete
  6. What fun! I love it when adults get to play, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are a good excuse to do crazy things.

      Delete
  7. She makes a lovely witch. Halloween has never been a thing with us - no children to scare unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is all very low key round here I am pleased to say - although ideas from the US usually spread to here and I believe it is very big over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in Yorkshire I was introduced to Mischief Night. No one came calling but the next morning all the garden gates from the houses were piled up on the village green.

      Delete
  9. Ha!! Love it! Thanks for visiting my blog. From one severed-head-bearing-parent to another -Jenn

    ReplyDelete