5 November 2016

The Book Club






Yesterday Sarah, Buddy and I climbed into the company truck (I do like to ride in style) and drove across the Harbour Bridge and through the busy streets of Sydney until we reached the quaint residential area of Alexandria. Tiny town houses with pretty wrought iron verandahs. The streets are narrow but Sarah did some impressive parallel parking with that big truck. We had arrived at the venue for The Book Club.


Esther was the hostess and welcomed us warmly into her smart little house. There were about a dozen of us at the meeting.  I felt like Methuselah amongst these sparkling young women.  I was envious of their youth, their exuberance, their confidence.  Mind you, there were some high achieving girls here – architect, editors, teachers etc.  The meeting started off well as we discussed the nominated book, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, a compelling tale of two young women living in Afghanistan.  I had originally bought the book for Sarah a couple of years ago. This is exactly what I had expected of a Book Club. Then the baby arrived.

A beautiful baby and his lovely mum, and everyone forgot the book and were cooing over the baby and admiring the pram.  Do they still call them prams?  Then the conversation turned to boyfriends and jobs and the noise level got higher and higher and I just hugged Buddy for dear life.

We left the meeting early, we had a barbecue party to get back to.  


17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading the book. It left me with a strong impression of what life must be like for women living in Afghanistan. The Kite Runner, focusing on two Afghan men, was also a good read.

      Delete
  2. I can imagine the pile of empties at the end of the session. I love that lacy metalwork on the balconies; one of those little houses would suit me fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were only drinking ginger beer! You would need somewhere between 1 and 1.5 million dollars to buy one of those little houses.

      Delete
    2. In which case I'll buy two.

      Delete
  3. Some years ago i read those 2 books,i think i shall look for them again.I like to go back to books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah - babies usually take precedence over everything else. I have this book on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were there babies at the barbecue party? I find they are best when they have been marinating for a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like babies but I can't eat a whole one.

      Delete
  6. I thought all houses in Oz were big. I am disappointed now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These little houses once belonged to the workers from the old brickworks and canneries.

      Delete
  7. I have read and enjoyed both these books but have resisted joining our local book club as I don't want to have to read something I know I won't enjoy. That looks like a nice little district to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just a guest member on this occasion. Seemed more like an excuse for a social gathering.

      Delete
  8. I read that book years ago, and don't remember anything about it. It sounds like you didn't get much discussion of it in at the meeting, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was disappointed we didn't get to discuss the book more. I thought it was one that might have generated some lively debate.

      Delete