18 August 2016

Rosemary and Thyme

Today we had a ‘day off’ from cycling.  It was overcast and there was a pleasant, cool breeze after days of hot sunshine, perfect for doing some work in the garden.  Paul did some masonry repairs on the stone steps to the house and I decided to tackle the couch grass and weeds in the herb garden.  It was tough going and with the uneven surface I almost tumbled over digging and tugging the damned stuff out.




  

I do love my herbs though and really miss not having access to fresh stuff from the garden during the winter.  I have sage, parsley, thyme, lemon grass, oregano, chives, lemon balm, rosemary and basil.  There is also a cotton lavender bush in the plot.  The basil, which I plant every year, has suffered badly with the cooler weather earlier in the season. There is also mint growing everywhere!  Coriander refuses to grow in my herb plot but is abundant down in Paul’s veggie patch. 

Wisteria needs pruning

Hibiscus surrounding the potager
Flowers among the vegetables

Onions drying in the sun
...................

Earlier this morning I picked some spring onions and put them in a glass of water to keep them fresh for this evening.  I have just taken them out of the water, peeled off the muddy outer leaves and chopped them to go with a courgette sauce.  I then accidentally picked up the glass of water and drank it.  Urgh! Yuk! Disgusting! Quick, give me some alcohol.

 

17 comments:

  1. Just opened a bottle of Jean Claude Mas Corbieres 2012, wish I could share with you. Brownlee Bros have just won and we are celebrating that.Any excuse! Could be just admiration of your garden. Love the little ferns in the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on my way! Can't believe how well Team GB are doing.

      Delete
  2. I once poured the milk for bread sauce down the sink having heated it with the onion, bay etc. I was left with the flavorings in the strainer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never tried spring onion water - after reading what you say don't think I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might taste better with ice and lemon...

      Delete
  4. i almost ate the dog's snake at my daughter's house today, thought it was something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dare I ask what you thought it was?

      Delete
    2. We used to get Snake & Pygmy pudding at school.

      Delete
    3. Of course! I should have guessed, that was funny.

      Delete
  5. I spent yesterday morning cutting back Wisteria. It was almost covering the roof of our 'tower' room. Your garden looks wonderful. A lot of my herbs are in pots, I find them easier to control like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pots are probably a good idea, easier to control the weeds.

      Delete
  6. What a pretty herb garden, it is always nice to pick fresh herbs, I have marjoram everywhere, it re-seeds like crazy, the bees love it. Don't talk to me about couch grass - it is such a menace, it really spoils the look of the garden and such a trial to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, marjoram. Might have to add that one to my collection.

      Delete
  7. Mint doesn't grow into little bushes like other herbs, it is very invasive, nearly like a weed. It is better to grow it in a pot Sue.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Maria but, alas, too late now!

      Delete