3 August 2016

Out and About



River Lot


 Today we set off to explore a new route on our bikes.  It was a perfect day for riding, still nice and fresh as we set off just after 8.00 a.m.  It was a steep climb out of Pomarède and then a series of hair pin bends down towards Prayssac.  I felt like I was hurtling down Mount Ventoux*, it was fantastic.  At one point I thought of adopting the Chris Froome ‘sit on the cross bar’ position but I knew we’d have to stop then for Paul to lift me back into the saddle!



Coffee and croissant in the market town of Prayssac before heading south to cross the River Lot via the small metal suspension bridge. 

suspension bridge at Anglars Juillac

Across the other side of the river we passed through more gentle landscapes of vines and woodland, plus the occasional stone farmhouse or pigeonnier.  We rode through the village of Anglars Juillac and then back across the river by another suspension bridge at Castelfranc, before heading north back up the wooded valley towards home.

tower bathed in sunlight high above the Avenue de la Tourasse
 A fifty kilometre round trip, back home in time for lunch on the terrace.  I didn’t do much for the remainder of the day!

*Mount Ventoux is a mountain in Provence famous through its inclusion in the Tour de France cycling race.

12 comments:

  1. With all due respect I don't think you would have got up Mount Ventoux! However I get the drift of the exhilaration of your downward run to Prayssac. Peter is now home.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey! You must be fit - all those hills - I'm lucky if I can manage a couple of miles on the flat, but of course I am way older than you. That's my excuse anyway :) Some lovely scenery - the river looks perfect for a bit of wild swimming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not that fit - sometimes I wish I lived in Holland.

      Delete
  3. The lycra outfit suits you very well Sue - do you model sports gear in fashion shows ? :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind! I couldn't cycle far without my padded shorts.

      Delete
  4. I can imagine cycling down that windy road to Prayssac, but have only attempted it by car. Your trip sounds more like a two day outing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a hoot going down that hill.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Heron :)
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fifty kilometres! Wow! You must be as fit as a fiddle Sue. Thanks for the virtual ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so fit without my bicycle, I can't walk very far. The great thing about cycling is that you can do it sitting down.

      Delete