28 August 2016

Culinary Disasters



Today I picked one of our beautiful, shiny aubergines and decided to make an aubergine and chickpea curry.   I made the sauce first, using the usual spices and adding a can of coconut milk.  The result was rather disappointing, gloopy and bitter. I chucked in a few extra tomatoes, a teaspoon of sugar and some tomato puree and that improved the taste and consistency.  The aubergine was sautéed and added just before serving, I think it could have stood longer cooking but I didn’t want it to go mushy.  Verdict from himself - “Not a patch on your chicken curry.”



Fruit salad for dessert, well you can’t go wrong with that, can you? 



I chopped plums and pears and added raspberries and grapes.  The peaches weren’t ripe enough to use.  Sloshed in some brandy to macerate the fruit and then, remembering Paul is not keen on brandy, added some red wine and citron syrup.  The result was pretty disgusting, rather like cheap sangria.  I should have made a crumble.





13 comments:

  1. Some plums were delivered to our door while we were out this morning. They have been stoned and microwaved and are chilling out in their own sweet juice. The wine, lemonade, brandy and Angostura Bitters will be employed separately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop trying to be a fancy French sous chef and give Paul some proper grub! Sunday roast or bangers and mash, egg and chips, steak and kidney pie or better still the food of the godessess - yes, Yorkshire Pudding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire pudding with proper gravy, yum. But for the summer I'm a fancy French Sue chef.

      Delete
  3. I notice some of the trees around here have plums and I like to dry them. Although I never heard of Aubergine before. But if I just saw a picture of one. I believe I would call it a eggplant.
    I came over from Heron view. Hope you fine the time to stop in for a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dora! Yes, aubergine and eggplant are the same thing. I shall definitely pop over to yours for a cup of coffee.

      Delete
  4. Ah ha; I spy an Opinel in your trug (I apologise to all sensitive Sussex folk for use of the word 'trug'). You're obviously a discerning gardener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad that I never inherited a true Sussex trug. This one is courtesy of a Lumberjack car boot.

      Delete
  5. The fruit LOOKS wonderful no matter how it ended up tasting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Jennifer it looks nourishingly wonderful !

      Delete
    2. Tastes even better when it's all free and fresh from the garden.

      Delete
  6. It still all looks deliciously wonderful to me!
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The curry wasn't too bad actually, and Paul quite liked the odd sangria dressing for the fruit.

      Delete