30 January 2024

A New Bike?

 

for sale

My faithful old Claud Butler hybrid bicycle is a bit heavy and dated compared to the bikes owned by other members of my family. Both girls and Paul have at least 3 bikes each - lightweight carbon models designed specifically for the road, rough trail or racing. Paul has been trying to persuade me to get something newer and faster for ages so when our neighbour (another cycling nerd) told Paul he was selling his almost new Boardman road bike it seemed like a great opportunity.

Mick wheeled the bike into our garage, it looked very sleek and space age and light as a feather. This was exciting. I was going to be able to give my girls a run for their money on this handsome bike. But that saddle looked a bit evil. Oh-oh, drop handlebars. I haven't ridden a bike with drop handlebars since I was about ten years old. I got onto the bike. Ouch! That saddle hurt. I stretched forward and could just about reach the handlebars. I was practically lying down. There was no way I was going to feel safe or comfortable riding this bike.


Sarah on her mountain bike at Sherwood Forest

Kat preparing to ride at the velodrome

I was very disappointed but sadly I had to decline the offer. My old bike fits me like an old pair of slippers, I have to pedal hard and it shakes me about a bit but I'm going to stick with Claud.


Claud



8 comments:

  1. Sue, I have only just realised that you are blogging again - welcome back!
    I've had a lovely "feast" catching up with your recent blogs and am very, very, impressed with all the work that has gone into Sarah's cottage. It looks absolutely beautiful and such a cosy home.
    I'm so glad that Rick is still around to enjoy life - I've missed seeing photos him - and you all of course.
    Very sensible to stick to the old bike - there's nothing better than an old pair of slippers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Rick is going to feature in most of my blogs!

      Delete
  2. Staying with the bike you like and find comfortable is the perfect decision. You know what you like and what works for you. I do not know a lot about bikes but it seems like you'd have to custom build a bike to suit your needs. Why do so many bikes have painful seats? I have knows people to swap out the seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have changed saddles but I still don't think it would ever have been a comfortable ride for me.

      Delete
  3. Oh how I miss my bike. If I hadn't played Rugby, my knee would still be in peddle-pushing condition, and I'd be riding along the prom' every weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great ride along the prom.

      Delete
  4. My parents were cyclists and some of the first photos of me are in a sidecar on their tandem. I grew up with bikes and in my early 20s cycled across Brittany with a boyfriend. I remember getting off the ferry in France and because I had to be on the " wrong" side of the road, my first attempt at dismounting on the pavement ended up with me collapsing in a heap on said pavement!! I was only thinking the other day that it must be well over 50 years since I rode a bike. Not planning to start again any time soon! Could I still do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect you could still do it. I remember falling off a tandem at Port Grimaud, France when I was about 20, my friend and I were fine until we reached a roundabout!

      Delete