3 July 2019

Cottage Garden



On Tuesday we took advantage of the sunshine and cycled a 24 mile circuit, passing through pretty villages and along quiet lanes with fields of wheat and barley either side.  The Tour de France starts this weekend so Paul was getting into the mood of things and keen to break a few records.  He nearly broke me, that’s for sure.


This morning we saw Mrs Malcolm working in her garden as we walked back from the village hall.  She is the lady who used to walk her old black Labrador, Malcolm, in the mornings with Rick.  Alas, Malcolm is no more so we stopped to offer our condolences. I commented on her wonderful display of potted geraniums and she invited us in to give us a tour of her garden.  It was the most beautiful, quintessential cottage garden.  Little pathways leading to hidden corners, no straight lines, roses, honeysuckle, ferns, hostas, daisies, lilies - so many different plants.  There was even a pond complete with a moorhen sitting on her nest. It was quite enchanting.  I now have garden envy!


25 comments:

  1. I imagine a garden like that takes years to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pathways! Charming is the right word to describe it. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing to have a Moorhen in one's garden. I never thought of them as being that 'tame'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Paul said it would be too much hard work so I'm not going to get a garden like that!

      Delete
  5. That really is the most beautiful garden, something to be proud of, and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother has moorhens on his pond and they have produced babies. As farmers they were considered a pest - they like to graze barley fields - but now he is retired he can enjoy them. My cats presented a dead one in the house for me the other morning, mostly eaten with the legs-end left for me to clear up. I noticed Cro's comment and for his information, moorhens, or water hens as they are also known, are very common in arable eastern England on pits and ponds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick killed a pigeon the other day but at least he didn't bring it indoors.

      Delete
    2. He said it wasn't him that done it.

      Delete
  7. 24 miles - wow! My nether regions would have been pretty numb by then. That garden is lovely. So restful I would think. We regularly find moorhens in our little garden pond but my OH discourages them as they make such a mess and they tear the pond liner. We now have a permanent slow leak thanks to them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I just let out a gasp when I saw that roller!! Straight out of my Milly Molly Mandy books!! Total envy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet that Mrs Malcolm was glad to show off her lovely garden - developed over time with much love and care - to the village newbies. "Oive eard they's French Missus Malcolm. Did thems smell o' garlic?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Malcolm said it would only take about thirty years to be 'accepted' into the village.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  10. Our new home for 6 months has concrete, paving and 'astroturf'. Might get a pot or two but the garden furniture and stone dogs (plus a real one) will have pride of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whereabouts are you now? Are you still in France?

      Delete