25 April 2019

Removing Wrinkles




I discovered another strange plant today curling its way through the leylandii hedge. It looked quite exotic with distinctive five-lobed  leaves, clinging tendrils and large buds.  I consulted Google and quickly identified it as White Bryony.  A pretty name but unfortunately it is a powerful laxative and highly toxic; the plant will have to be removed. 

White Bryony
According to Pliny (Roman author and naturalist), pounding the root together with a plump fig will remove wrinkles but only if a walk of a quarter of a mile is taken immediately after application. I’m not sure if you are supposed to eat it or apply topically but personally I think I’ll give the combination of a strong laxative and figs a miss.

the dark area is new grass
Elsewhere in the garden the grass seed we threw over the filled in ‘pit of doom’ has germinated and turned into – grass!  We have planted a clematis and a climbing rose at either end of the shed and in time they will cover the bare brick and look quite pretty.


16 comments:

  1. Do you not trust yourself not to go out and eat a leaf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I trust me (I think!) but I don't trust Rick.

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm... I think I'll stick with the wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bringing a garden to life is quite exciting isn't it? My bungalow had been lived in for forty years by the folk who had it built, but they were not the slightest bit interested in gardening. I love planning it although I am too unsteady on my feet to do the work. Wish I didn't have mares tail weed to cope with though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden here is very well stocked but it had all become very overgrown and unkept. The worse thing here is ivy - it's everywhere.

      Delete
  4. It's really better to stay with the wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just eat more to stretch out the creases!

      Delete
  5. Wow, good thing you looked that up! It would probably be the one plant Rick would have to sample!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does try to eat long grass sometimes so it's better to be safe than sorry.

      Delete
  6. Pliny was obviously a comedian; unless he wrote that on April 1st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pliny (the Elder) wrote quite a lot of twaddle, as many prolific writers and thinkers do.

      Delete
  7. Odd that that is your second toxic plant in this garden so far. When you identified your previous toxic plant (with the sort of bells on it, I have now forgotten what it is called) I recognised it from my own garden. I googled it and decided to dig out. We have young grandchildren and I didn't want to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wolf's Bane - the other poisonous plant. I wonder about the previous occupants, apparently he worked in Intelligence and was fluent in Russian.

      Delete
  8. You should have commanded Paul to paint a mural on that wall. Perhaps a field of sunflowers or faraway hills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I'm thinking a Banksy!

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, Gordon Banks died earlier this year.

      Delete