7 April 2019

In the Garden

Ribes
I have been outside in the garden this morning pulling ivy that was intertwined around the base of some shrubs.  One of the shrubs was a Ribes (flowering currant); it has a pretty pink flower but the fusty scent reminds me of cat’s pee.  I can still smell it on my hands now.


plum blossom
possibly Chaenomeles (Japanese quince)

Rick has been chasing pigeons while I worked, they have been eating the blossom on our plum trees.


Yesterday I got out the last few apples that were stored in the shed over winter.  It was back in October that I wrapped batches of apple individually and then layered in boxes while I watched Princess Eugenie’s wedding.  I used several different varieties and they have all kept well, the Golden Delicious probably were the least successful.  I still have several bags of apple slices in the freezer.



16 comments:

  1. Those currant bushes grow quickly and can create an informal hedge. Your apples seem to have kept well! Are they from trees on your property? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have six apple trees dotted about, all different types.

      Delete
  2. Keeping apples to April is amazing. None of my little trees have keepers - sadly

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did very well to preserve the apples for so long. I have had little success preserving our apples like that. Rot always seems to set in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time I've ever stored apples so I was very pleased with the result.

      Delete
  4. Yes I think that is Chaenomeles too - very pretty - you might be able to make quince jelly..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the shrub has been swamped by some evergreen bushes so I'm not sure if it will thrive. If I cut the evergreen back they will go brown and not look very nice.

      Delete
  5. We have a shrub in the front of the house that has that very same smell. but only in the spring. It's very nice though, so we put up with the smell! At least yours has pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could keep my Apples as long, we're lucky if they last to Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised they lasted so well, I expected them to be rotten by now.

      Delete
  7. We are still waiting for our trees to produce a decent apple crop! I know what you mean about the Ribes' scent - we have several large ones in our garden which we keep because of the flowers but like you I hate the smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We feel very lucky to have inherited some established and healthy apple and plum trees.

      Delete
  8. I have a black currant shrub in a pot on my patio and I love clearing out around it in spring - even though it's dormant the branches still carry that lovely black currant scent when I brush against them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowering currant doesn't have any fruit, just flowers. I have three blueberry bushes in tubs on the patio that I hope will give me fruit this year.

      Delete