6 March 2019

I Want To Ride My Bicycle


I promised myself that I would start cycling again in March.  Last Friday I managed to unearth our lycra and helmets that were buried at the very back of the wardrobe and Paul and I set off for a short ride.  We pedalled along the straight and traffic free Barff Lane at quite a fast pace until we hit the pot holed section and my bones started rattling as I bounced across the bumpy surface. 

It was the first time I had been on my bike since we moved here and the saddle was set too low so I was cycling with my knees almost hitting my chin. We didn’t go far, about 10 kms to the next village.  The terrain is very different to France, no steep hills to painfully climb but conversely no exhilarating downhill sprints.  The flat roads have you working at a constant pace with no free wheeling.

Since Friday a north wind has been blowing here so we haven’t been able to venture out again. Can’t wait for some warmer, milder weather so we can explore further afield.


13 comments:

  1. Please do let me know if your cycling exploits ever reach as far as Tetford, where I spent many of my childhood holidays on my uncle's High Farm. Also, should you reach Somersby then do have a look at the Rectory, where I believe Tennyson was born and where, in my day, there were some interesting little artefacts surrounding his life in a case in the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so looking forward to exploring the county and discovering new places this summer Pat.

      Delete
  2. You will have some time to wait for milder weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it looks that way.

      Delete
    2. I mean ever. Lincolnshire is permanently not mild.

      Delete
  3. It is so wonderful that you have new landscapes to discover.A kind of new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still feels very new and we have so many places to visit.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a beautiful way to explore your area. You'll get to see the country-side up close. I haven't ridden a bike in a long time, but we're looking forward to getting out our Harley Davidson Trike. It probably won't be warm enough for us to do that until May. We don't get the exercise but it sure is fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow - a Harley Davidson Trike! That must be so much fun.

      Delete
  5. I much prefer leisurely flat roads for cycling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart used to sink sometimes when I saw a steep hill to climb ahead but the fabulous views were a reward.

      Delete
  6. You'll have to explore The Lincolnshire Wolds by bike - An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty which will be made more so by your presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of hills in the Wolds. There is nothing natural or beautiful about me when I'm wearing lycra!

      Delete