24 February 2019

Village Life

It’s been a busy week.  This beautiful weather has enticed us into the garden and we have been buying pots and plants and generally tidying the flower beds.  Paul built himself a raised vegetable bed; it looked pristine until the local cats decided to dance all over it.

On Thursday we had a jolly evening at the village quiz.  It was for a good cause, raising funds for the village hall.  We joined another couple of newcomers and came a respectable third out of about eight teams.  If I had listened to Paul we could have come second.  If Paul had listened to me we would have come first.

snowdrops everywhere along the grass verges


This afternoon Rick took me for a walk along Barff Lane.  It could have been a summer’s day except for  the bare trees and snowdrops everywhere.  I picked up some eggs on the way home, one of them is a delicate blue colour.  They must have blue hens.






16 comments:

  1. Funny about the quiz - made me smile - been there - miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing snowdrops on many of the blogs I follow. I've never seen them here in New York State that I remember. But I've found them to order, and will be planting some bulbs next fall so that I can enjoy them in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ever remember seeing so many before. Maybe they are a feature of this area.

      Delete
  3. Real eggs. I love buying them that way, little honesty boxes and trust.
    First place next time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to a pub quiz or any sort of quiz. I think my mind would just go blank. I worked with a girl a few years ago who went to pub quizzes everywhere, a team, all over the county. It was like they were professional pub quizzers. I had never met anyone of that species before and it seemed weird. I thought to myself I bet you're popular when you show up. They expected to win every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't take it too seriously, it's just a bit of a giggle. Some people get very competitive though.

      Delete
  5. My friend has hens which lay blue eggs - I rather think the hens are black - they are certainly not blue!
    The very words ' pub quiz ' strike the fear of god into me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would know all the answers though Pat!

      Delete
  6. The last quiz I went to, the winning team was stacked with professionals but all they won were some Tim Horton's gift cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prizes here, just a dented old silver rose bowl that gets passed on at each quiz.

      Delete
  7. I bought nice eggs at Cazals market yesterday; €2.50 a doz. I couldn't see how much yours were, probably cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that I would enjoy a pub quiz though I'd be rubbish at most questions. Tony would be great though. He knows lots about sport ( not soccer though ) and music but I'd never talk him into it . He's a tad antisocial !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be surprised at how much you know!

      Delete