5 November 2018

Moonshine


This morning I peeled and cut up a load of apples for the freezer. I just can’t bear waste and there are so many apples on the trees here.  Next year I intend to make cider and apple wine.  We shall have to invest in an apple press and buy a load of other kit but I think it would be fun to do. 

Paul looked on Amazon for apple presses and found a wonderful shiny looking copper still for making your own moonshine.  Now that would be fun, I thought.  Is it legal to have a still in the UK?  Well, apparently it is legal to own the apparatus, but you would need a licence to use one.  So you could have one sitting on your window sill for show but you couldn’t actually use it to make alcohol!  There is also the risk that you could end up inadvertently producing ethanol which is not great for drinking.  Maybe I’ll stick with apple wine.


10 comments:

  1. Just stick to cider, I think. Not sure I'd like apple wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you command Paul to make the moonshine then the cops won't get you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting! And yes, I could drink the evidence too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moonshine or scrumpy - it will be fun.

      Delete
  4. I have quite a serious press here, but what you really need is an old s/h garden waste shredder. Once the apples are shredded the juice will flow. Lady M once made apple wine; it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We left our old shredder behind! Apple wine might be easier because you don't need to press the apples.

      Delete