22 November 2018

Comfort Food

view from garden room

 It is very cold, damp and gloomy in Lincolnshire today, a proper winter’s day.  I just let Rick out the door and he sniffed the air, turned around and shot back indoors. 

When it’s this cold my mind always turns to comfort food.  Yesterday we had a hearty minestrone soup for lunch and then pork and apple casserole with mashed potato for supper.  Apple turns up quite a lot in our meals these days!  Today we have more soup and then tonight I’m baking some salmon fillets with macaroni cheese.  Not sure if that works but I’ve got a hankering for mac ‘n cheese.



Work on the garden has been suspended until the sun comes out again.  We have huge piles of wood cuttings, brambles and ivy scattered around.  Paul is planning to load the trailer and take it to the local organic waste recycling plant.  Otherwise we will have to bag it up individually before taking it to the ordinary recycling centre. The leaves will get raked up and dumped straight onto the compost heap.

But today we are staying indoors, keeping warm and eating!


23 comments:

  1. The salmon with macaroni looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess that I didn't do it in the end, I shall try it next time.

      Delete
  2. Tarteflette was the Plat de Jour yesterday. Salade verte and 1/4 vin. Just right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy. I love salmon but always struggle to find something that goes well with it. I might have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up not making it in the end but I think it would work.

      Delete
  4. Looks good. We are having Spicy Carrot and Celery soup tomorrow and tonight Hairy Bikers Jalfrezi chicken. Not that I am trying to compete! Let me know how the Salmon Macaroni was please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't! I discovered I was short of milk so I did salmon with wedges and peas. Boring. Paul has promised to make me macaroni at the weekend.

      Delete
  5. My favourite salmon dish is to make a 1/4 pint of white wine sauce with parsley, put into a pyrex dish add sliced green beans follow by a large portion of flaked fresh salmon added mashed potato then several slices of tomato followed by more mashed spud to fill the dish and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese. Cooking time about 30 minutes at gas mark 5. If you desire a crunchy top a few minutes under the grill will achieve this. Enjoy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds delicious. I shall give it a try.

      Delete
  6. That dish in the photograph looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Paul's cauliflower macaroni cheese, one of his special dishes.

      Delete
  7. I comfort eat, but it is a Mars bar or a Kitkat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still enjoying the Hallowe'en chocolate treats. Can't let them go to waste.

      Delete
  8. Salmon fillets and macaroni cheese sounds like a great combination to me but you need vegetables too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, my chef is going to make me cauliflower macaroni cheese tomorrow. I had peas with my salmon.

      Delete
  9. I recently changed an old Oil Drum into a garden incinerator. Everything now goes in there, and is burned. We're quite tidy now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought about a bonfire but we just have too much and don't really want to upset our new neighbours!

      Delete
  10. I love comfort food, especially carbs with my carbs! I used to make a couple of cream soups in the 90s - a sweet potato, leek & apple, and curried parsnip & apple - both so retro but very delicious if you need some more apple ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though soups sound interesting, anything to use the apples up!

      Delete
  11. Oh, and if I can find crab that isn't eye-wateringly expensive, I make a crab macaroni cheese. Divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete