12 September 2018

The Chestnut King


Yves, chestnut producer


It is almost time for the Chestnut Harvest. The tractors are noisy today mowing the ground around the chestnut trees in preparation for the nets that are spread underneath to catch the nuts. Philippe and Monsieur Escalier all own extensive plantations in the area, as well as farmer Hichard.  Not forgetting Yves, the local chestnut king.  


Yves wearing his regalia at the chestnut fair

They take their chestnuts very seriously around here and there is a Confrerie de la Chataigne, a sort of brotherhood of chestnut growers.They dress up in velvet robes and crowns and have elaborate ceremonies when they parade along the street with their flags.  Less serious is the chestnut fair when they have a chestnut spitting competition.

If you visit a restaurant in the area at this time of year the menu will include a chestnut aperitif, chestnut soup, duck with chestnut sauce, and a chestnut gateau for dessert.  

I prefer mine simply freshly roasted!



9 comments:

  1. I am lucky...I have a friend with a chestnut tree who gives me bags full of nuts! Love them roasted. My Mother used to make a turkey stuffing. Any ideas??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Delia Smith has a good chestnut stuffing recipe.

      Delete
  2. I have never tried them any other way but roasted and not even that way since we dispensed with an open fire to roast them on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just used the oven last year to roast them.

      Delete
  3. I think I would be a very effective chestnut spitter, showing the Frogs how to do it. I hope that my last remark will not be judged to be "racist". It's just that my spitting ability is legendary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to boil mine. They come away from the skins better, and taste delicious just with a little salt. With no burnt bits, they are also much easier to use for other things.

    We often wonder where all the nuts go. There are vast amounts grown throughout Europe, but you hardly ever see them on sale.

    ReplyDelete