15 August 2017

Bloody Flies

This morning we both took Rick out early for a long walk through the chestnut woods.  The walk should have been idyllic but we were plagued by flies, even at that early hour.  It seems to have been a particularly bad year for flies.  A few weeks ago I got a painful bite from a horsefly on the back of my leg and the same thing happened to me today.  I knew I should have worn trousers instead of shorts.  I grabbed a large fern leaf to swat the flies and managed to cut my hand.  This walk was not going well.

We both ended up walking along carrying large bunches of ferns, swishing them around like a couple of manic cheer leaders.  Rick’s fur coat seemed to protect him from the vicious horseflies.

We planned to have lunch outside today but at midday the skies darkened and we had a thunder storm.  We dined indoors and ate gambas flambéed in garlic butter and olive oil; soaking up the garlicky juices with French bread is the best part of the meal for me. Why does food taste better when you eat it outdoors?  At least there were no flies inside.


12 comments:

  1. I am imagining you flailing yourselves with ferns! Probably not funny at the time, though. I'm going to guess that gambas are mushrooms? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gambas are very large prawns.

      Delete
    2. Oh. That's good. I thought they might be wild boar testicles.

      Delete
    3. No, Mr Pudding, I never eat garlic with testicles.

      Delete
  2. Mmmm lunch sounds delicious, even if it was eaten indoors. Gambas (langostinos here)in garlic, and crusty French bread - what could be better !

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I just Googled "gambas" and found they ae a shrimp. Even found a recipe with garlic butter !! ...and EVERYTHING is better with beautiful French bread !
    I love lunchtime storms .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to ration myself with French bread, it's wicked.

      Delete
  4. I was on airport duty again yesterday morning, so missed both the flies and the storm. Thank goodness I took Bok with me. I often find myself swishing leafy branches around my head (in the woods), but haven't had to so far this year. I'm forewarned for this morning, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember a year when the horse flies have been so bad. I guess they like the heat and humidity.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if you can buy an ecological,vegan, sourced from sustainable products sort of horses tail like thing that Jomo Kenyatta and his ilk used to use. I saw someone on the TV News with one just like it the other day. Although The Dog doesn't get bitten he can feel if a fly lands on him even when I think he's asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No flies here, the advantage of living in town, but then we don't have the lovely countryside, the woods, the fields, fresh air...
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete