5 May 2024

Bike Ride

 


It was a beautiful morning when I took Rick out for his walk, still a bit misty with the sun just starting to break through. I planned to go for a leisurely bike ride after giving Rick his breakfast and Paul said he would cut his gym ride short and come with me.  I felt quite energetic as we set off and managed to get a personal best time climbing the steep Ahoy There! Hill out of the village. I did it in 55 seconds (Kat does it in 30!).


The cycling felt more like pleasure than exercise, although we had to to be careful to dodge potholes and loose gravel. It was still early so there wasn't much traffic about. Plenty of birdsong and crazy pheasants running around; we saw two hares in a field, they must have been mature males going by the size of them.  All was going well until, about 13 kms into the ride just north of Brandy Wharf, Paul got a puncture. “No problem,” he said, “I've got a spare tube with me.” But unfortunately he had forgotten his bicycle pump so that most definitely was a problem. 


missing bicycle pump

I left Paul at the roadside while I continued the ride towards home alone, another 13 kms or so, to collect the car so I could return and rescue him. Rick was delighted to see me so I decided to put him in his crate so that he could come for a ride in the car. It was only as I approached Brandy Wharf that I realised there wouldn't be enough room in the back of the car for both the bike and the crate!


No matter, the crate is collapsible and Rick was more than happy to sit in the footwell at the front of the car on the return journey. What a palaver!


13 comments:

  1. The bike ride would have been perfect without the puncture. Still it was lovely with the early morning quiet and wildlife viewing. Plus Rick got a surprise ride. Next time it will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These things happen. We might try again tomorrow if the sun is shining.

      Delete
  2. Too bad about the tire puncture but it sounds like you still had a fun day. I bet Paul will never forget that pump again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about time all bikes had non-puncture tyres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much debris on the roads yesterday so I wasn't surprised.

      Delete
  4. These things are sent to try us. Paul won't be forgetting his pump again. Sounds like it was still fun in parts though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately it was warm and sunny so Paul was quite happy to sit at the roadside and wait for me.

      Delete
  5. Well, the best laid plans etc... It sounds as though you had an enjoyable ride, apart from the hassle with the puncture.
    Glad Rick enjoyed his unexpected car ride. I don't use a crate but all my dogs wear a harness and have been clipped into the seatbelt housing on the back seat, so that they can enjoy watching the world go by.
    So many times I've thought about buying a bike, though I've not ridden one since I passed my driving test. Then I remember all the steep hills around here - nowhere is flat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick's crate is open at the front so he can see ahead but the other sides are closed to stop him barking and leaping at everything he sees. He is not a calm passenger!

      Delete
    2. Strangely, for a dog who is so noisy in many situations (cats especially!), Paca is very quiet in the car - she sits looking between the front seats and only moves if there's something interesting to see from the side windows.

      Delete
  6. This might be a silly question, but why doesn't your bike have a pump?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a pump fitted to my bike (they don't come as standard these days) but it kept falling off so ...

      Delete