4 March 2021

Before and After

 

before

after

A utility room is quite a novelty for me  so you will have to excuse my enthusiasm.  We did have a buanderie (laundry room) in our French house; it was in the ancient pigeonnier tower and you had to duck to get through the low doorway and then step over mouse traps and the like to get to the washing machine.  I forgot to duck on at least one occasion and almost knocked myself out on the solid stone lintel.

The utility room in our bungalow is small but accommodates the freezer, microwave and washing machine and also serves as a boot room - a handy area to dump coats, muddy boots and dog leads.

Last week the kitchen fitter removed the original 1980’s units and installed new cabinets to match the kitchen.  Yesterday the tiles were put up and the electrician connected the new wiring and sockets.  I am pretty chuffed with the overall finish.  It looks extraordinarily shiny and tidy at the moment, give it a week and the room will be full of muddy boots and dog paraphernalia.

 








21 comments:

  1. Very impressive I wouldn't want to use it! Also remember the French Utility Room and having to 'duck'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't stay this neat and tidy for long.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous. I truly think the way to a woman's heart is storage. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handy spot! I bet it was a major selling feature when you were looking at houses but so much improved now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sue,

    The room is completely transformed. So light and bright, your new units have certainly freshened up the room and make it appear much more spacious. To have a room such as this is a godsend as there is always so much that really needs to be out of sight but one cannot live without it. Now, you have a perfect combination since of useful and beautiful. William Morris would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even have a dedicated cupboard for my ironing board!

      Delete
  5. It looks very smart Sue, and I love the roller blind. I see you even have a place for your Dyson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blind matches the one in my kitchen and adds a nice splash of colour.

      Delete
  6. I love the sausage dog design on the blind. There's somewhere to keep your Dyson but where do you store your Paul?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's no sausage dog, that's Mister Fox! (I keep Paul in the cupboard under the stairs.)

      Delete
  7. Yes it looks much better for being brighter and lighter colour all round. Utility rooms are important aren't they? Mine is one of the most important areas of my house. I have to remember to tidy it every now and again, it tends to soon get cluttered in spite of best intentions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a month or two and mine will be cluttered and messy again.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful renovation. Lots of important storage and every detail incorporated. Right down to the outlet with USB included. A well designed utility room is invaluable. Your bench and coat hooks are perfect. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. It seems to work very well for us.

      Delete
  9. Well I do like your utility room as you have exactly the same blinds as those at our house at France! You clearly have have excellent taste!!!

    ReplyDelete