29 October 2020

Italian Apple Cake

 

We still have loads of apples on the trees in the garden.  The apple wine is bubbling and fermenting away nicely and we have a chest full of apples stored away in the garage.  So when I saw an Italian lady showing how to make an ‘easy’ apple cake on YouTube I thought I would give it a go.

 

not the daintiest of creations but very tasty

I had to use cup measures because my scales are out of action at the moment, and my cake tin was the wrong size but I ploughed on regardless.  There seemed to be an awful lot of butter and sugar going into this cake.  It all looked a bit of a mess by the time I had finished playing around with the ingredients but I put it in the oven and left it to bake for 40 minutes.

Well, I was amazed at the result.  A cross between a tart and a cake it was crunchy on the outside with a soft, moist apple centre.  I probably didn’t put enough cinnamon into the mix but the lemon zest came through beautifully.  I shall definitely try this recipe again.

 


 

25 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful and as she cut it, my mouth was watering

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Turned out better than I thought it would.

      Delete
  3. That looks like it would be good with a dollop of cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the weekend menu, thank you so much for sharing, I am sure it will be delicious with some of our Cornish Clotted cream on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a keeper but that was one humungous slice she cut at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks very good. The hint of lemon with the apple sounds excellent. Add a scoop of cream on top, perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could have got away with using a bit more cinnamon.

      Delete
  7. A "different" kind of apple pie. Did you permit Paul to have a slice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was allowed a ration at coffee time.

      Delete
  8. This looks like something to try if we have more apples to gather and use. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always on the look out for ways to use up our apples.

      Delete
  9. It looks like Apple Crumble in cake form. That gets my vote instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pie looks much tastier than the one in the video!
    It looks the same as the slice that I sometimes buy from a local German cake shop. I have wondered how to make it, as it wasn't a crumble or a cake. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't sprinkle mine with sugar at the end as I decided it didn't need any additional sweetness.

      Delete
  11. Looks lovely - I will definitely make this. Did you use plain or self raising flour please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used plain flour and then added the raising agent (baking powder) as per the receipe.

      Delete