19 January 2018

Deer Encounters



It should have been a simple repair job but Mr Smillie had other ideas. “We’ll just quickly whizz away some of this decay and replace the filling” he announced gleefully.  I was in no position to protest (his hand was in my mouth). The whizzing took at least twenty minutes;  I’m now £90 lighter and have a very numb face.  Hugely relieved it’s all over though.



Paul took Rick out early for his morning walk.  Rick got incredibly muddy earlier in the week when we took him along the Ridgeway and we had to put him in the shower when we got home.  All the bridle paths and fields are very muddy right now so Paul kept to the hard pavements of the housing estate today.  Our little market town is bordered by fields and open countryside but Paul was still surprised to come face to face with a small Muntjac during his walk.  He thought it was a stray dog to start with and Rick was very eager to say hello.  The little deer was very chilled and just trotted across the road and disappeared into the thick hedgerow.





15 comments:

  1. Glad you appointment at the dentist went well. Just had mine, a bit longer than yours with root canal work and a crown made while I waited. Nearly 3 hours. Part two starts in a fortnight when he starts the next tooth.

    We get the muntjac around here, they are very bold, like urban foxes and considered as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done. Root canals are lengthy procedures, makes your jaw ache. You will feel great when it's all finished. Paul doesn't understand why I get so uptight about going to the dentist, I think you understand what it's like though.

      Delete
  2. I admire your fortitude. I go to the dentist only under extreme duress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's preferable to wearing dentures! Or suffering the pain of a tooth abscess.

      Delete
  3. It must be a wonderful feeling getting the dental appointment ticked off your list. L
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen the occasional one here too - they seem to be solitary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so surprising to see one on the housing estate.

      Delete
  5. Hate the dentist but go every 6 months for a cleaning. No major work needed recently, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleaning is like some sort of water torture. I hate that too.

      Delete
  6. I've never seen one; I wonder why we don't have them here. Plenty of Roe Deer about though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you meant you'd never seen a dentist!!!

      Delete
  7. Oh dear, oh deer...I doubt that Rick wanted to say hello to that timid creature. My guess is that he desired a tasty venison snack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a herding dog, he probably just wanted to round it up.

      Delete
  8. Hate dentistry, but have to admit the procedures have improved vastly over the years. Glad your trip in now a memory!

    ReplyDelete