19 November 2017

Christmas Dinner





Sarah is flying home to spend Christmas with us and Kat will be on leave so we will be having a very special time together.  I want everything to be perfect (it won’t be!) so I have already started planning menus etc.  Sarah is vegan and when I saw Bosh’s latest video recipe for Christmas Dinner featuring a Portobello Mushroom Wellington I decided to test it out.  In other words I gave instructions to my House Chef (aka Paul) to bake it.

The Wellington was fairly straightforward, bake the Portobello mushrooms, mix some pecan nuts, chestnuts, garlic, seeded bread, herbs, a dash of white wine and stock, seasoning, wrap it all up in some short crust pastry and bake for 40 minutes.  I regarded it with some suspicion as Paul served it up with some peas and cherry chutney but it was absolutely delicious. 



On Christmas Day it will be served with all the trimmings, roast potatoes, gravy etc.  I’m just not sure how I’m going to get the turkey in the oven at the same time.


26 comments:

  1. ooh.......I have to find that recipe.....I don't eat meat, and that looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This link should take you to it.
      https://www.facebook.com/bosh.tv/videos/1482273071851188/

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks delicious! I know you and Paul are looking forward to Christmas and having both of your girls at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah arrives on the 22nd, I think she might still be suffering from jetlag on Christmas Day.

      Delete
  3. That looks very good - perfect colour of pastry, too. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not vegan and it looks good to me. Bake it the day before and reheat in the microwave. Great that both your daughters will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have such a small armoury of vegan recipes that 'Stuffed Peppers' gets an airing quite often. I recommend them, stuffed with rice, mushrooms, chestnuts, spices, etc. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah doesn't like peppers so she would only eat the stuffing!

      Delete
    2. How can you be a veggie and not like vegs?

      Delete
    3. I know! Just peppers she's not keen on.

      Delete
  6. I love stuffed green peppers and have eaten and prepared them myself since the early 1970s. Funny I never thought of them being labelled vegetarian, let alone vegan, but they were always a favourite of the hippy days gone by. We would always eat brown rice of course. Now you can buy them ready prepared in Waitrose as fast food! But like Cro says you can stuff them with different tasty things, quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love peppers, sadly my vegan daughter doesn't care for them!

      Delete
    2. How weird is that. Shame because that mushroom wellington thing looks so stodgy.

      Delete
    3. It is a shame because peppers are really versatile.

      Delete
    4. It cuts her repertoire down a lot I would think speaking as a meat eater who likes peppers

      Delete
  7. That really does look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On Boxing Day I have six adults and three children.I shall try this. Three of the adults are vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul did well. He's like your own personal Gordon Ramsay! However, I suspect that Paul's language is more gentlemanly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, he doesn't let me in the kitchen when he's chef.

      Delete
  10. Looks yummy, best put a turkey breast in for Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fear, there will be roast turkey for the non-vegans! (That includes Rick.)

      Delete