20 October 2017

Tasteless



Today we did our last big supermarket shop before we return to the UK.  (I was really chuffed because our favourite boxed wine had a 30% reduction so we are now well stocked up for the winter.)

As we walked through the bakery section I grabbed a baguette, I thought some fresh bread would be nice to accompany our lunchtime soup. Paul warned me, he said it wouldn’t taste anything like the bread from our boulangerie, but it was freshly baked and still warm from the oven so I thought it would be okay.

I should have listened to Paul.  It was ghastly.  It was tasteless, like eating polystyrene with a strange sweetness to it.  I couldn’t believe it was so bland so I checked the label.


Baguette sans sel!  Silly me, it was a salt free version that I had picked up.  I’m not sure if it would have tasted much better with any added salt.

I told Paul salt free bread was good for his high blood pressure. He responded by picking it up and dropping it straight into the bin.


"he could have given it to me, I would have eaten it"

16 comments:

  1. I hate it when I accidentally buy salt free items, they taste awful. I don't use much salt, but I want some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how much difference it makes.

      Delete
  2. Presumably Rick is returning with you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about the taste, but if you slighty bent it by it's so called use by date it would resemble a boomerang. I hate getting Bio veg/fruit in my trolley/basket by mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read the label, it just looked like a nice baguette.

      Delete
  4. Sorry that was disappointing. Enjoy the trip home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we have another two weeks before we leave.

      Delete
  5. Supermarket bread is rarely tasty after you've been used to the real thing.
    I'm very interested to hear how Rick is, once you get back in your flat in Calne. He's had so much freedom in France, and must have spent much of his time outdoors with you both for company. It will be a trying time for you, too, because you'll have to anticipate his need to go outside, and take him on his lead. Just hope he doesn't have any problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite worried about how he will adapt, it won't be easy. We are going to look for a bigger place with a garden in the New Year.

      Delete
  6. Instead of sticking that baguette in the bin, Paul could have fed it to your garden birds. Mind you, I guess that even wild birds over in France turn their beaks up at saltless bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds are banned from the garden since Rick arrived, he goes berserk every time he sees one. They like to taunt him, they bounce on the pampas grass and pull faces.

      Delete
  7. We still make the pilgrimage to Frayssinet.... wonderful bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should have known better than to buy supermarket bread.

      Delete