5 July 2017

Having a Wild Thyme

Chateau de Prats du Perigord
This morning Rick persuaded us to go for a hike instead of our cycle ride.  We drove over to nearby Prats du Perigord to check out the Parc de Marche Nordique (Nordic Walking Park).

Nordic walking with two poles (rather like cross-country skiing without the snow) is very popular in France and the park has three separate trails to follow through the forests and countryside.  There are three routes, red (difficult), blue (intermediate) and green (easy).  We decided to follow the green route.  We didn’t have any poles but I had my trusty walking stick and new boots.


It was very pleasant walking, through shady woodland and out into the sunshine with wild thyme and chicory growing alongside the paths. Perhaps we weren’t paying attention but somewhere along the route we seemed to have lost the green signs and were following the red route.

“How far is the red route?”
Paul mumbled a reply.
“What did you say?”
“Twelve or fourteen kilometres, I can’t remember.”
“So how long is it going to take us?”
“About three hours...”

Rick looked at me and wagged his tail.  I had visions of getting totally lost in the French wilderness.  I only had one bottle of water, a packet of dried apricots and four dog biscuits in my bag. Luckily we managed to find the blue route back to the village, a total of six kilometres.  Plenty far enough for me.  We’ll go back another day and try and find the green route.


Prats du Perigord



11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. What are you saying? We are sensible, highly intelligent people.

      Delete
  2. Your country side is just wonderful. I have a funny mental image of your dog looking up at you and smiling and wagging his tail at the thought of having you for a full three hour walk! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The countryside is stunning around here. (Rick is very tired tonight)

      Delete
  3. If they make a film can they get Jennifer Saunders to play Sue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People just don't take me seriously.

      Delete
    2. Yes we do. Jennifer Saunders is very funny. So are you.

      Delete
  4. We always get lost when we go for walks, I always hope to find a pub along the way. Our walks here in Georgia are much shorter in the summer or I'd melt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely village. I only go once a year; to their Vide Grenier in September (usually). The church is worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beautiful, Sue.
    Did Rick know you'd only got four dog biscuits with you? No way would any of the Labs set foot outside until I'd loaded up at least half a kilo of treats....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete