This year’s strawberries are a disaster! Well, that’s a bit of an exaggeration because we’ve been eating them for nearly a month now but too much rain and not enough sunshine has resulted in strawberries that are not as sweet and juicy as I would like.
Last year we had a bumper crop. So I decided to be a good housewife and make some strawberry jam. I had only made jam once before in my life and it came out wonderfully well. Easy peasy. I retrieved my preserving pan from the barn, dusted off the cobwebs and followed Delia’s instructions. I covered the strawberries in sugar and left them overnight to draw out the juices. Next day all the ingredients simmered away in the big pan and it filled the kitchen with the most amazing aroma of hot strawberry jam.
Delia said to simmer for 8 minutes and check for setting. If still runny simmer for a further 3-4 minutes and repeat until set. Two hours later I was still waiting for it to set. I tried adding lemon juice but that didn’t work. In the end I poured it into the jars and hoped for the best. The next day I discovered I had eight jars of strawberry soup with the fruit floating on the top.
I refused to be beaten. So I poured it all back in the pan, flung in some apple and more sugar, shouted at it and boiled it some more. Eureka! Strawberry jam.
It’s a lot easier to make these...